Campbell Town Convict Brick Trail
The first brick was laid by Mayor Kim Polley on August 28th 2003; This brick
is dedicated to those who died on their way to Australia either by disease
or misfortune and they were not lucky enough to
see our magnificent
The trail of bricks is dedicated to the nearly 200.000 convicts who were transported
to Australia for almost 100 years from 1788 onwards. Over 70,000 came to Tasmania.
Today it is estimated that 80% or 4 out of every 5 Tasmanian have a little
convict blood in their veins. The trail begins here at the red bridge, this
was built entirely with convict labour. They hand made 1,250,000 bricks and
then built the bridge on dry land. When completed they were then told to divert
river beneath its arches. This was accomplished by digging the new river course
a kilometre on both sides of the arches. Built for horse and cart it is today
the oldest bridge in Australia still in use on a major highway, such was the
workmanship of our forefather convicts.
This convict built building, the fox hunters return still has the holding cells
beneath its floors where the convicts were held at night. Most convicts in Tasmania
at some time passed through Campbell Town either traveled north south or to the
east coast many are buried in our 5 cemeteries, albeit in unmarked graves.